Kale....Did you know?

Botanists call kale Brassica oleracea variety "acephala", which literally means "cabbage of the vegetable garden without a head." A kale plant has green or purple leaves and the central leaves do not form a head. A member of the species Brassica oleracea along with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts, kale maintained its vegetable champion status until the end of the Middle Ages. Until the end of the Middle Ages, kale was one of the most common green vegetables in Europe.Kale was brought to North America by the colonists in the 16th century. Later, Russian kale was introduced into Canada, and then into the United States, by Russian traders in the 19th century.

This plant has an amazing origin and history, can you believe this plant grows in Trinidad? Yes it does the picture below is taken from my garden, if your interested in knowing more about this plant let me know.

Comments

  1. I did not know it grew in Trinidad. I was always under the impression it was imported....See you learn something new everyday. Great post! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yes same here...until I went in the agro store I could not believe my eyes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can you tell?

How to cultivate Rosemary